- Upcoming Events!
- Past Event: Niagara on Fire!
Friends of Fort George Events:
- September 6 – Polo Niagara This one day event will take place on the Commons near King and John Streets following the parade through town along Queen Street. Times:10 am till 5:00 pm Entrance fee is $10. For tickets call the Fort George gift shop at 905-468-6621.
Niagara Parks Events
- July 25 at 7:00 pm, Battle of Lundy's Lane Commemoration. Visitors are asked to join the march from both ends of Niagara Falls that will culminate on Drummond Hill see: www.niagarafallsmuseums.ca/niagara1812
- August 9 & 10, 200th anniversary of the Siege of Fort Erie. The big blow up will be on Sat Aug 9th at 8 pm See; www.oldforterie.com
Parks Canada Events
- Aug 16 & 17, Fife and Drum Muster
Sunday, October 5th, 6-9pm - MUSEUM FAIRE at the Agora-on-the-common
- An evening of food, fun and entertainment to support the NOTL Museum. Including Niagara's best Silent Auction! Tickets, which include food and wine and cost $50, are available from the museum by calling 905-468-3912. For full details of this event, download our brochure.
The Niagara on Fire event was held in December of 2013 and was a commemoration of the burning of the town of Niagara 200 years earlier. The event was held on Queen Street in Niagara-on-the-Lake and included a sound and light show, searchlights and red lights on the main street that made the town look like it was on fire. The main event was the showing of the new movie entitled Niagara on Fire.
This had been 3 years in the planning and a full year of shooting. It was successfully filmed with the aid of many volunteers in costume and uniforms, and the old homes in the historic district. The film has since been donated by the Bicentennial Committee free of charge to students on both sides of the border in Niagara so that our children are aware of the historic facts of this tragedy.
Now you can purchase your copy of the extended version Niagara on Fire DVD for $10.00. These are available at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Museum, Library, Town Offices and the shop at Fort George.
- Seeing, Doing, Accommodations
- See our videos
Whether it's the history of Niagara or just a chance to get away and explore this picturesque region, you're certain to find many points of interest. For a copy of our NEWSLETTER click: –http://eepurl.com/nExmnStart your visit by staying at one of the many accommodation choices from quaint bed and breakfasts, country inns, guest cottages or luxury spa hotels. Enjoy local farm fare from award winning restaurants or simply visit one of the many farmer's markets. Take a tour through wine country and sample some of Niagara's finest vintages. Browse the many eclectic shops of Queen Street in the Heritage District. Take in a play at the world renowned Shaw Festival. Let's not forget the many historic sites in the area, Fort George, Fort Mississauga, Queenston Heights and Brock Monument, Butler's Barracks, Fort Niagara (just across the river on the US side) and many more. The National Geographic Traveler Magazine just rated Niagara-on-the-Lake as one of the top Historic Destinations in Canada and number 52 in the world! The survey was put together by a panel of 280 well traveled experts who evaluated each place. Their report states in part: "Niagara-on-the-Lake may be the most beautiful small city in Canada". There are so many options you may have to plan another visit!
Some useful sites to help plan your visit
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce: niagaraonthelake.com
- Niagara Cottages Association: cottagesofniagara.com
- Shaw Festival: www.shawfest.com
- VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner/Niagara): www.vrbo.com
- Fort George: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/index.aspx
- Friends of Fort George: friendsoffortgeorge.ca
- Niagara Historical Society Museum: niagarahistorical.museum
- Fort Niagara: oldfortniagara.org
- Niagara Parks: niagaraparks.com
- Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake: wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com
- Interactive map of Niagara in 1812 see: www.niagaraeveofwar.ca
- Ontario Historical Society www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca